January 19, 2010

animation??! repetitive? no wai!

Having a discussion with Kitty today, we were talking about our art lives. Back in the day I took a comic production course at Vancouver Film School thinking that it was going to be my career. Now I really can't stand doing comics... That's not entirely true. I like doing them sometimes for fun, and in general I like storyboarding as well. Then Kitty mentioned that animation was Tedious! I'm like! whatever!!! its so not!

There is a general misconception that Classical animation is like "drawing the same picture tons of times only a little different." Anyone who's done animation knows better, but it's interesting you know? how people perceive things. Every type of person has a set of thoughts about stuff they don't know much about. In our minds we make stuff up to fill in blanks. I think that's pretty interesting.

It's not at all like drawing the same picture over and over because you don't draw one picture completely each time. you don't draw frame by frame. You draw the movement. You take a sequence between 2 keyframes and you add frames, directly between each pair of drawings completing the motion.
 Example: if you have 5 frames. you draw 1 and 5, then you draw 3, then you draw 2, and 4. all the while adding these frames you tighten up the other drawings as you go along. in the end it feels like you've done one image, but it's just a multi page image...

Does that make sense?

I don't think I've ever felt that animation is a repetitive process. Maybe it's one of those things you have to do to understand. I think I'd die if animation was as repetitive as it's stereotyped as being HA! I can't stand repetitive art tasks.

anyway, that's my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...